Sunday, May 7

Rally Fever

This election has been the turning point for the opposition. The opposition have been able to connect to the people significantly and were no longer engaged in "hooligan" politics. Out of curiosity, I attended the last 2 Workers Party rallies.

The first was in my hometown of Ang Mo Kio. Here the Workers Party is fielding their so called "suicide" squad of youngsters. The traffic on that night was ridiculous. By the time I got home at 7pm, the roads ard my neighbourhood were already jam-packed. Following the cheers, I eventually reached the rally site. The topics raised were expected but I must say the quality of argument is good and is no longer arguing for the sake of arguing.

The second rally I attended was at Serangoon Stadium with a bunch of colleagues. My colleagues decided to park 1km away from the stadium and we were already finding difficulty in actually finding a lot. On they way to the stadium, we saw another colleague and he told us that the police has already closed the gates to the stadium. Being curious, we decided to venture on and we were lucky that the police had actually opened another entrance to allow more to attend. I would guess the people there were easily 50,000 to 60,000. The emotional bits were there when one of the candidates said he had to say sorry to his 2 year old son for not being with him during this election period. The rally ended with an oath to Singapore by asking everyone to recite the Singapore pledge.

Overall, the election rallies were interesting and were really an eye-opener. Something that Singapore would only see once every 5 years. I seriously doubt any sports event in Singapore would ever acheived such a crowd.

No comments: