Sunday, May 7

Let me set the record straight

For friends who has suddenly wondered why I have become so anti-government, I have not. Let me set my records straight.

I am a product of the meritocracy system in Singapore. I did well in school and secure a government scholarship. Without that, I would have never been able to study in UK and USA and been able to see the world. With that I am always indebted to the government and the system I have been through.

Unfortunately I am not your typical "scholar". I come from the heartland, living in a 3 room flat and I can feel the suffering on the ground. My dad has not been working since 1999. Structural unemployment has caused him to not only lose his job but his will to find another. How can you expect someone who used to earn $1,500 as a mechanic in the ship to become a cleaner? Things are not as rosy as it seems. My mum has been working in a factory as an operator for the past 5 years. She is a contract staff with zero bonus, zero pay increment and the risk of being fired hangs over her head everyday. With overtime, her pay was about $600 to $800. Before I started working, my family of 4 have been surviving on $600 to $800 a month since 1999. Only when I started work, did I become the main breadwinner and took over most of the responsibility of the household. I also decided to get my family a car to let my parents have some form of luxury.

Not many of my friends know this and very few actually understand how I feel not able to do what most people can do. I am lucky as I have friends who understand my plight and always have been by my side.

I have seen quite a lot over my last 26 years and with today's society, it's hard for people at the top to understand. That's why I am so interested in politics because I do hope to make a difference one day. I hope one day I can be called upon to serve the people. That, I will serve with honour.

No comments: