Sunday, May 7

Post Mortem of the Singapore Elections

Ok, the dust have settled. Everything is back to normal after 9 hectic days of campaigning around Singapore. The ruling party has been returned to power with 82 out of the 84 seats (status quo) and the 2 opposition seats were strongly defended. So does that mean that the struggle is over? No, far from it. Let me give some thoughts on this elections.

1. PAP is slowly waking up
The incumbent party is finally awaking to the people's needs. This election will send a signal to the ruling party that simply by offering carrots such as upgradings and lifts will not send the electorate running back to them. This has been used for the past 15 years and it has obviously not worked considerig the opposition are still holding on to their seats. The PAP would have to re-strategise by thinking out of the box on how to win the two opposition seats.

2. Re-awakening of the Workers Party
From my previous post, I have no doubt that the Workers Party has come up as the alternative voice of the people over this past 9 days. What I truely hope they can achieve is to do more over the next 5 years by working the ground and speaking of alternatives instead of popping up every 5 years. With 2 seats in Parliament now, hopefully it would provide a more concerted effort on government policies.

3. Political Apathy, my foot?
Before the elections, I would assume that most people would think that Singaporeans were not interested in politics and no one really cared about who are the people in white. I was so wrong just by reading stuff on the internet and attending the rally. No matter what party each person supports, it is truely encouraging to read people being interested in politics and wanting to contribute to society.

4. Political freedom
By just listening to people, it is truely encouraging that we are slowly opening up as a society. No longer will people be yes man, but willing to speak up on the issues even criticising government's policies or people. I am glad this is happening and would one day hope that we can be open as the political society as those in Europe. Unfortunately I would feel we are still quite far from this. Just yesterday, was chatting with an acquaintance about politics and I commented that the sentiments in the grounds are slowly changing. She commented that I should not be making such comments as none of us can make these society. Come on, we live in a open society! If you can't take it, hide under your bed!

5. Finding the right people
I was glad that people such as Ong Ah Heng and Seng Han Thong are returned back to government. I can safely say these are the people who can really connect to the grounds. We need more of these people, who can understand the suffering of the man in the street. Close friends would always ask me when I would be joining politics but unfortunately this is not my call. I have always said that I truely hope one day I could serve the people but I think in Singapore it may not be so easy.

6. Stop Party Politics
Some nasty remarks were made by PAP Chairman, Lim Boon Heng over these past election. By limiting the outreach of NTUC only to your own party's people, you are truely not respecting the electorate. Upgrading and lifts should also be given to everyone as at the end of the day, everyone pays taxes as well. PAP is more than capable of winning an election with playing party politics and mud-slinging. Let's try to have a true and open election based on national issues for the sake of Singaporeans pls. (Incidentally, both Lim Boon Heng and Goh Chok Tong were noticeably absent at the victory press conference last night)

I have said my peace for this elections. Let's have a more compassionate government, one who is willing to understand the feel of the grounds and bring Singapore to the next lap.

Comments anyone??

No comments: