Wednesday, October 12

Queenie


The next character on the list is Queen Elizabeth I or otherwise known as Queenie on the show. It was played by Miranda Richardson who will soon appear in the next Harry Potter film as the nosey reporter Rita Skeeter. Playful and childish but yet authoritative and powerful, she was the boss of Lord Edmund Blackadder. Always being accompanied by the a**-sucking Lord Melchett and her caring Nursie, she treats Blackadder as her favourite courtier and even contemplating marrying him.

One of her most famous quote was "I may have the body of a weak and feeble woman but I have the heart - and stomach - of a concrete elephant!" An excellent deviation from the original line spoken by Queen Elizabeth I " I have the body but of a weak and feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a King, and of a King of England too"

She even wrote a poem about Blackadder named subtly "Edmund" which I will share:
When the night is dark
And the clouds are black
And the ducks go 'quack'
When the sky is blue
And the cows go 'moo'
Think of lovely Queenie,
She'll be thinking of you

Blackadder replied "Mum, life without you is like a broken pencil"

"Pointless"

One of my all time favourite quotes!

Of course, the real Queen Elizabeth I was not exactly that love-struck. She ended up being known as the "Virgin Queen" and was a national hero by leading the country against the Spanish Armanda. She deeply regretted not having a heir and thus ending the royal line of Tudor. In fact, the next in-line for the throne was her worst hated enemy, Mary Queen of Scots' son. James VI of Scotland took over when Queen Elizabeth I passed away in 1603 and thus uniting both crowns of England and Scotland. He was henceforth known as King James I of United Kingdom and thus starting the Stuart line which would only end in 1711.


No comments: